Local community invited to get active #inhoniton 25-31 May 2019 with free fun events and activities run by East Devon at Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Beehive, LED and in Honiton’s amazing green spaces, plus a discounted outdoor cinema screening
Today, Wednesday 13 March 2019, East Devon District Council is proud to announce the launch of #HonitonEventsWeek (25-31 May 2019), a week-long celebration of Honiton’s cultural offer and wonderful green spaces, which will also give local people the chance to get involved in these places and to find out more about the opportunities available to them.
Comprising cultural events and fun health/wellbeing themed activities, where local people can meet teams from different East Devon services who will be running the events, the week-long programme kicks off in grand style with a Museums at Night event at the Thelma Hulbert Gallery, 5.30pm Saturday 25 May.
It continues at different venues across the town with horticultural talks, creative workshops, nature walks, fitness classes, circus skills, wellbeing courses and a Dragons Den style community funding event, all of which are free. The week concludes with an evening outdoor cinema event at Allhallows play area on Friday 31 May with discounted tickets.
The council is also keen to hear people’s views – not just about what they currently have – but also what they would like to see more of and how East Devon can improve Honiton’s green spaces. To this end we are running Honiton Events Week – the first phase of a new ‘umbrella’ initiative – called #inhoniton – comprising further activities, development and support for green spaces.
#inHoniton’s aim is to encourage local people to get more active with family and friends, become more involved in volunteering and to generally get more use out of all the council’s sites in the town.
The council is also keen to hear people’s views – not just about what they currently have – but also what they would like to see more of and how East Devon can improve Honiton’s green spaces.
- Saturday 25 May, 5.30pm Museums at Night, Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Monday 27 May, 9.30-11.30am Nature Walk Knapp Copse
- Monday 27 May, 2-3pm Garden Design, venue tbc
- Tuesday 28 May, Taster gym/exercise classes LED Honiton Leisure Centre
- Tuesday 28 May, 10am-12pm Circus Skills, outside Honiton Family Church
- Tuesday 28 May, 11am-2pm BBQ Masterclass Offwell Woods
- Tuesday 28 May, 11am-3pm Family storytelling workshop Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Wednesday 29 May, 10am-3pm Honiton Bottom Adventure Day
- Wednesday 29 May, 10.30am-12pm Woolly Wednesday Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Wednesday 29 May , 1.30-3pm Early Years Creative Session Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Wednesday 29 May, 2-4pm Honiton Dragons event Beehive
- Thursday 30 May, Taster gym/exercise classes LED Honiton Leisure Centre
- Thursday 30 May, 9.15am Devon Loves Dogs event Honiton Bottom
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-2pm Go Wild in Honiton at Beehive
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-3pm Felting workshop Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-12.30pm Ways2Wellbeing event LED
- Thursday 30 May, 2-3pm Wow with a windowbox venue tbc
- Thursday 30 May, 2-4pm Tour of the Glen
- Friday 31 May, 10am-1pm Gittisham Common Heritage walk
- Friday 31 May, 11am-1pm Mindfulness and Depression Course, Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- Friday 31 May, time and film tbc Outdoor Cinema, Allhallows play area
Cllr Ian Thomas, the Leader of East Devon District Council, said:
We want to start a conversation with the town about the green spaces we manage and how we can help improve issues such as access, signage, on-site information and facilities to make them even better for local people to enjoy
We realise we can’t do all of this alone so will be working in partnership with Honiton Town Council, as well as other key green space and cultural providers in the town, for the benefit of the whole town through joint projects and funding bids.
Please help us during the week by coming to as many events as you can – they are all free, except the outdoor cinema, which is discounted – and let us know what you think about the facilities and how to improve them and what sort of events will get you, your family and friends out more often.