Uplyme is at the East of the three coastal parishes which make up Trinity Ward in East Devon. It neighbours the West Dorset holiday town of Lyme Regis, and in the 2001 census had a population of approximately 1700 people.
The parish of Uplyme has one of the largest boundaries in England—in excess of 16 miles (26 km), the area of the village being approximately 3,618 acres (14.64 km2).
The remains of a Romano-british villa were excavated near to the village in 1850. The earliest recorded reference to the parish was in AD740 when Cynewulf , King of Wessex gifted the manor of Uplyme to Glastonbury Abbey. The village is also mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul dominates the village skyline adjacent to the primary school. The church is thought to have been founded in the 9th century, but the 14th century tower is the oldest part of the present structure.
The village hall is on the main road through Uplyme towards Lyme Regis, with adjacent playing fields containing a children’s play area and 2 cricket pavilions (one worthy of listed status is currently disused).
Mrs Ethelston’s C of E Primary School is named after Mrs Anne Ethelston (1799–1854), the wife of the Reverend Charles Wicksted Ethelston. After her death, Charles Ethelston decided to erect a building in his wife’s memory in order to house the already existing school. Sadly, however the main building was not opened until 1873, a year after his own death.
The school currently houses around 120 pupils, encompassing 7 years in 6 classes. The school consists of three buildings, an early 1990s building for reception to year 2 known as Wood Haven,and another building is being built, whilst the main original old building is home to years 3, 4, 5 and 6, as well as the staff and administration areas.
A new site in the village is currently being sought to allow this popular school to meet the strong local demand for primary education.
In line with other villages throughout the country Uplyme has seen a reduction in local facilities. The Black Dog and The New Inn public houses closed leaving just the Talbot Arms at the junction with Gore Lane. The last hotel, The Devon Hotel, was converted to flats with the extensive grounds being developed as the Glebelands Estate. Recently the only village shop and post office combined with the filling station, with the former site of the village store awaiting development for housing.
A small new development of ‘Affordable’ housing has just started near the village hall opposite Cooks Mead, to help support local people remain in the village.
(Adapted from Wikipedia entry for Uplyme)